Friday, March 6, 2009

Health Care Rationing, Not Reform

The terribly expensive health care in the United States is still considered the best in the world. Yes, there are problems. There is room for improvement.

But, to give health care over to the government is to trade a diamond with a *G, VSI rating for a polished granite stone. Especially when the new plan is crafted by a focus group meeting at the White House for three or four hours.

I have successfully battled cancer four times, both with and without insurance. It took me three years to pay all hospital and medical bills for cancer and reconstruction surgery. When I had cancer with insurance, I still had to brawl with some flunky over why Blue Cross Blue Shield would not pay for the anesthesia when part of my lung was removed.

Neither situation was fun, but I prefer them to getting my health care through the same government that runs the TSA. There is a reason why victims of socialized medicine come to the US for treatment if they can possibly afford it. Back at home they have watched friends die while waiting to get to see the doctor.

*G means near colorless and VSI refers to very slight inclusions or flaws in the stone, not visible to the naked eye.

No comments: