Monday, March 1, 2010

Lent 2010, Day 13

For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled, bewildered]. I do not practice or accomplish what I wish, but I do the very thing that I loathe [which my moral instinct condemns]. Romans 7:15 Amplified Bible
And how are your Lenten disciplines going? If you've messed up a few times already, you have a lot in common with St. Paul. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most reassuring verses in the Bible.

Too many times we try to hide our failures and refuse to admit them even to ourselves. Or we may get really down and decide not to even try any more because we've failed so often, so easily, and so deeply. Sometimes we massage our wounded egos by looking for others who've fallen more spectacularly or deeper than we have.

True humility and redemption lies in letting God into our lives and cooperating with Him. If we fail, we get up and go at it again, just like the toddler learning to walk.
Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. Hebrews 12:2b Amplified Bible

No comments: