Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lent 2010, Day 36

Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You now? I will lay down my life for Your sake.” Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for My sake? Most assuredly, I say to you, the rooster shall not crow till you have denied Me three times. John 13:36-38
Holy Week reminds us all that even the good guys, the elite group who had been tutored and trained for three years by God Himself, weren't so very trustworthy. One sells Him out for the price of a slave. Most desert once the authorities arrested Jesus. And Peter, the one Jesus chose to lead the others, ended up denying he ever knew Him. Sadly, we all have to admit that even with 2,000+ years of experience, today's followers commit similar cowardly acts. But, the love of God can overcome our failures, if only we allow Him into our lives.

No comments: