Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Health Care for Me, But Not for Thee

Since the emergence of the health care reforms hidden in the “Stimulus” Bill, I have been reflecting on the similarities between Sen. Specter and me. Actually, we both have a lot in common. We’re from the same generation of babies born during the Depression. Both of us were fairly healthy until the nineties. Since then, we’ve have hit a few bumps on the road. Each of us has fought cancer 4 times and had a major operation in the last 17 years.

We both received excellent, up-to-date medical care that enabled us to win over amazing odds.

Fortunately of me, my illnesses occurred in the past. Were they to happen after the “health care reforms” hidden in the stimulus bill, I am certain that given my expected life span and the cost of cancer treatment, the authorities would order “Palliative Treatment Only."

But, because Arlen Specter is in the Senate, he will continue to receive medical care at the taxpayer expense without regard to those ugly mortality tables versus the cost of treatment.


Footnote:In the nineties Arlen fought off brain cancer twice, then had to endure cardiac bypass surgery in 1998. Then in 2005 and 2008 Sen. Specter had to be treated for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

I had breast cancer in 1992, ocular melanoma and a tumor on my colon in 2005, lung cancer in 2006, and a kidney operation in 2007.


No comments: