Saturday, February 21, 2009

Racial Cowards in "Academentia"

When I was advising university students on the courses they should take, a young black student came in who only wanted to take one course for the summer term. I told him that the tuition for summer school covered two classes and encouraged him to take another one to keep from wasting his money. He left in a huff and I went on to the next student in line.

Within 15 minutes an imperious black female professor insisted on interrupting my schedule to discuss a “very important matter.” She was there to tell me that I had insulted the student by assuming he could not afford to “waste” money because he was black. She came to my office to get me to apologize to him for my racial insensitivity.

I told her that all advisors were instructed to remind all students to take two courses for the summer term, unless they had an important reason to not do it.

I also informed her that of my four children, three were married: one to an Hispanic, one to a Caucasian, and one to a Black. If I were racist to any degree, that would not have happened.

She left hurriedly before I could explain that my children’s friendships and marriages resulted from judging people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. And furthermore, it happened without affirmative action, quotas, or lessons in politically correct behavior.

If Attorney General Holder is correct that we are a nation of cowards, it is because we have been taught to be cowardly by political correctness. In fact, it has been pounded into us until it’s almost impossible to discuss anything frankly and it only causes trouble.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I think the most interesting part of this anecdote is that both the student and the professor assumed a racial bias. That reminds me of a study Malcolm Gladwell referes to in his book _Blink_. In this study, which took place in the Netherlands, two groups of students were given the same test. The difference was that in one group students had to identify their ethnicity. The group of blacks who identified themselves as such, performed significantly more poorly than those who were not asked to identify their race.